Friday, July 9, 2010

No shit!

Welcome old faithfuls, disciples, countrymen, vagrants and bohemians alike. Its good to have you back. Very good.
Ive been reluctant to update for awhile because usually the only funny thing worth mentioning is about me stepping in Kevins shit, otherwise my blog is more like a diary. Or dairy. Or brog. There has been plenty of Kevin shit let me tell you, but not on this occasion. Today is a joyous day, a day of drinking instant coffee thick enough to chew on. Soy milk, naturally. Its the first saturday in a longtime I havent jumped out of bed in a rush to get shit done. No plans until Jasmine gets home. Joyous occasion. I have positive $2 in my account, a few litres of soy milk, half jar of instant and enough sugar to toffee myself into a sugarfit. I wont be going anywhere.

I wish we could fast forward to this holiday Jasmine and I are going on. I just wish I could do the proper traveller thing and go for months on end, but to many commitments keep us both grounded. One day we will. 
Im even planning the next holiday and havent even got enough cash to do this one. But its Africa for sure. After seeing a few amazing African acts over last 6 months and reminding myself how since I could talk, Ive been saying Im going to Africa. Its Africa for sure. Now that Smurfinger is on the shelf indefinitely Ive started African drumming again. I cant tell you how happy I am to be doing this music again, I love it. 
Ive started playing Krin with Sayon Souare, a master West African musician who is married to Molly, who taught me Djembe to start with. Sayon is an insane musician and dancer and very, very talented. Soon enough we will be doing the folk festival circuits and really making a name. 

Ive also been playing drums for Randy Borquay who was big in the 80`s reggae scene. Old school rocker who knows how its done. I love playing reggae. Randy said to me after our first jam "why you so good at African drums? ask your Mummy why you good at African drums" and I replied "Maybe our milkman was African?" and he yelled at the top of his lungs "YOU HAVE DRANK THE AFRICAN MILK! NO WONDER YOU PLAY AFRICAN!" I think he kind of missed what I was saying but it still cracked me up. He is from Ghana, so you couldnt get a word in if Ghana was playing someone in the world cup. Crazy times. Had a few late jams only playing when the adds are on so Randy could yell and chant while Ghana where playing. Good times. Turns out he came to my primary school when I was a whipper snapper and played some traditional African stuff. Now 15 years later Im playing drums for him.

Here is a video of Randy, probably the year I was born.
Here is Sayon playing Bolon and singing. Crazy stuff.
Here is some dudes playing Krins. Awesome log drum Ive only just discovered.


Things that are shitting me as of late:
Winter.
Money.
The flu Ive had for a week.
Commercial television, in particular Masterchef.
finishing all 7 seasons of Shameless. I want more.
No $8 Thai massages.
Im sure there is heaps more things and its shitting me I cant think of them.

Until next time blogren.


No comments:

Post a Comment